About Me

I am a crazy woman, funny and carefree but type A and anal all at the same time. I have two daughters and a Father who's a King...what more do I need?! My goal on this planet is to help His bride: literally (I plan weddings for a living!) and spiritually (I occasionally offer words of wisdom to loved ones...) Bless us all on this journey!

Jesus and His Girl

Jesus and His Girl

Friday, October 3, 2008

Motherhood


Let me preface this by saying that I've obviously never been a father. And my kids' father is actually really good with them and to them, in spite of the flaws in his relationship with me. However. We've had a very difficult week in our home, some stuff with Skylar and lots of financial issues, not to mention the ongoing single mom take care of the kids take care of the house take care of the store try to be at the school once in awhile and oh yeah then there's church. So here's the thing. No matter how sad or tired or disgusted or angry I've been this week, I don't get to just STOP. And yet (and this is not to gender bash so correct me if I'm wrong) it seems like dads get to. Daddy's tired don't bug him. Daddy feels helpless so let mom fix it. Daddy worked all day so let's try to figure it out instead. It SEEMS like fatherhood sometimes...gets to stop. Motherhood NEVER STOPS. Never. If I have a wedding this weekend that takes all night Friday and all day and night Saturday it's up to me to figure out childcare. If daddy's gonna be gone for the weekend it's still somehow up to me to figure out childcare. Even in my wonderful sweet brother's case, who is an EXCELLENT daddy, if my mom or I can't babysit his son he just takes the day off cuz he "can't find a sitter." It seems like moms--at least the moms I know--just don't have the luxury of giving up that easily.

2 comments:

Elizabeth F. said...

Amen. It's like the old joke...moms are never allowed to be sick either. When dads are sick they are pitiful...if moms are sick they cannot take the "day off" cause then dad would have to take the day off from work. I think I'd literally have to be on my death bed for that to happen.

I actually feel pretty lucky compared to your situation, so I won't complain...but you are right...the parental duties are not evenly distributed in most families. I'm sorry! Ok. Get your chin up, this week is going to be better.

Jenny W said...

hey the wedding i did over the wedding was great, and megan and i got to go to the Chicago Bridal Market yesterday, to pretend we know what we're doing:) fun to look at all the displays, and dresses! of course i need $600 for rent for the store tomorrow but hey, let's not get bogged down by reality when there are pretty dresses in chicago to look at!