About Me

I am a crazy woman, funny and carefree but type A and anal all at the same time. I have two daughters and a Father who's a King...what more do I need?! My goal on this planet is to help His bride: literally (I plan weddings for a living!) and spiritually (I occasionally offer words of wisdom to loved ones...) Bless us all on this journey!

Jesus and His Girl

Jesus and His Girl

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Mindfulness

I saw something on Oprah yesterday that has me thinking: in Western society everything we do is mindless. I'm so busy with what I have to do next I never focus on what I'm doing now. And even seriously mundane things: how do my legs feel as they drape over this chair? When I eat, do I think about not only how it tastes, but also how it feels? When I hold my kids do I smell them, enjoy the warmth of their skin on mine, be in the moment with them rather than going through the motions but inwardly thinking about the laundry I have to fold? When I'm driving do I marvel at the fact that not only are the trees green but that, when the sun hits them they're actually 100 different shades of green? These small things are the key to happiness. And unfortunately, the new-age Eastern religions are way better at being in the moment than we are. In this country you have to be dying before you slow down enough to smell how sweet the grass smells in the morning. You know? I want to be more mindful of things; I really think it's the key to true thankfulness.

2 comments:

Elizabeth F. said...

Very true and deep...LOL! It is sad that I have to really make myself focus on stuff like that in order to do it. Otherwise, my day is just a blurr.

We always think we have more time to do those things later, or we'll slow down and do stuff like that when we are on vacation or something. Unfortunately, for some those later days never come.

Good Post!

Anonymous said...

What a great reminder! We cannot ever get these times of our lives back and while the moments of not sleeping because my 9 month old was teething will not be missed, I already miss him being a tiny baby! Thanks for the insight! I will try to take things slower and just enjoy!