About Me

I am a crazy woman, funny and carefree but type A and anal all at the same time. I have two daughters and a Father who's a King...what more do I need?! My goal on this planet is to help His bride: literally (I plan weddings for a living!) and spiritually (I occasionally offer words of wisdom to loved ones...) Bless us all on this journey!

Jesus and His Girl

Jesus and His Girl

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Freecycle


Our good friend E has gotten me hooked on Freecycle. For those of you who don't know what that is, type in Freecycle.com and then go to your ZIP code. It's a Yahoo group so you'll have to make a password if you don't already have any kind of a Yahoo account, but then you get to participate in this cool online free garage sale. Well I've been doing it for awhile and I get email alerts whenever something new is posted (like 40 a day, but fun not spam!) Well. Today there were like 5-6 asking for used toys for their kids for Christmas. Y O U G U Y S. I know Christmas will be tight this year for all of us, but omg that broke my heart. One was asking for books, one was asking for snowpants, one was asking for gently used toys for three kids, one was a grandma who just got custody of her grandkids and needs Christmas presents, etc. So I'm going home tonight and going through the Barbies we don't play with, the baby dolls we have doubles of, the Dora books we don't read anymore, and last years snowpants. We may not have money but you know what, we've got STUFF. More stuff than we need! And to pass that stuff on to people who really DO need it...especially with winter coming...makes me cry!!!!

Yay Freecycle!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Liz said...

What a cool way to use Freecycle, Jenny! I think finding things like this that your kids can get involved with is a great way to truly communicate the real message of Christmas in a very practical, non-preachy sort of way. My parents always tried to do something creative like this when we were growing up. I hope we can start some cool traditions with Isaac.

Elizabeth F. said...

I love Freecycle. A friend of mine started a Recycled Christmas Gift Yahoo group just a few weeks ago and members can list items to give away to one another. IT's great. Also, tomorrow I am going to a Toy Swap, in which we will all bring new or gently used items to swap with others for Christmas gifts for our kids! A fun and creative way to provide gifts for our kids without spending any money. We have so much so why not trade with other families? Anyone can start a Yahoo group, so maybe you should think of starting one and telling people so that they can join too!

Jenny W said...

i was with cassie this week and she said some of their friends at church were talking of doing a toy swap. what a great idea!